Where there is no vision, the people perish – Proverbs 29:18
- Dysfunctional management. Lack of focus, vision, planning, standards and everything else that goes into good management. Throw fighting partners or unhappy relatives into the mix and you have a disaster. – Top 10 Reasons Small Businesses Fail – NYTimes
- According to Cambridge University Academic Dr Kamil Munir, a lack of focus is responsible for Eastman Kodak filing for bankruptcy in the United States.
What Is Your Focus
I’m curious, what is your focus? Do you really know what you’re out to achieve? Do you have a clear, focused, organised and transparent perspective about what it is that you’re seeking to achieve.
Alternatively, are you forever:
- Caught up in a flurry of activity
- Doing ‘things’
- Running from meeting to meeting
- Attending countless networking events
- Writing code
- Learning new skills
- …and so on
But are you actually sure what your end point, ultimate goal, aim is?
I ask this, because for myself recently that question came racing home at a thousand kilometres per/hour. I thought that I had a direction with a clear goal, but it became apparent that i didn’t. I’ve been lost in a crazy amount of activity daily, wondering why I haven’t been getting the success that I want; only to discover that I’ve not been completely clear on what I truly want to achieve – though I thought that I was. That’s begun to change, but it’s important to ask the following question:
What Is Your Focus?
So, what is it? Can you articulate it quickly, succinctly, precisely, in 60 seconds or less? If not, perhaps it’s time to revisit it.
image copyright karen_roe